Install Fine - SQL connection failed

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Hi,

Firstly, this is exactly what I have been waiting for since SQL first introduced FTS and finally SQL 2012 has semantic search features and this demonstration is exactly what has been needed for the past 10 years :)

My problem is after the installation which was on the Hosted DenaliCTP3 Kiwi-v2 build I cannot connect to the KIWI instance of SQL Server. Everything installed perfectly and all the dependancies were in place and not required to download or install but I simply cannot get the Silverlight application to connect to the server.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also when the application is installed and working - does it automatically look for databases which have FTS and Semantic Search / Filetables contained within them or do you have to point to a specifc *new* database containing only indexed Word documents?

I have been blogging about my testing of Semantic Search and looking at performance on my personal blog - http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/sqlartist/

Best Regards

Trevor Dwyer

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Got this working - I uninstall and reinstalled with the powershell scripot I missed on the first time ! Blogged about how good the tool is over at http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/sqlartist/archive/2011/11/01/sql-2012-mysemanticsearch-demo-with-tag-clouds.aspx

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Glad the UK SQL Community is loving MySemanticSearch, thanks for spreading the word on your blog we really appreciate it.

Developer
Nov 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Edited Nov 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Hi Trevor,

Glad you got the application working.

As to your question about the application: Yes, the application automatically looks for databases which have FTS and Semantic Search / Filetables contained within them, or which could host new Filetables. It doesn't show system databases or any other database where you couldn't create new Filetables from the application. As you could observe, it doesn't require that you use only Word documents, but you can include other kind of documents as well, and extract information from them.

If you have any other question or feedback, please, don't hesitate to post or comment here.

Best regards,

Daniel Altamirano

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Thanks very much - the blog posts are basic as I just want to get the message out there whilst enjoying the new features :)

Ever since Sphinx I wanted this type of FTS - I even ended writing the entire TF-IDF keyphrases and keywords algorithm in Transact-SQL because I wanted to join unstructured data and then automatically create OLAP cubes based on test mining and semantic meaning. I can finally do that!

Can you confirm that Keyphrases work in CTP3?

best regards

Trevor

Developer
Nov 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Hi Trevor,

Yes, keyphrases work in CTP3. The tag cloud in My Semantic Search is built using keyphrases extracted from files in the FileTable.

You can check this blog post for more detailed information. Look for the "Full-Text Statistical Semantic Search" headline.

Best regards,

Daniel Altamirano

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Thanks for updating the MySemanticSearch documentation and the walkthrough is definatley helpful.

Do you think that you will continue to enhance the sample application - different visualisations for example?

I would also like to understand the semanticdb at a deep technical level - will that come in the SQL Server 2012 documentation or via some white papers?

I may write a guide on how this could be integrated with an Analysis Services OLAP cube - allowing unstructured information to be navigated by an automatically created taxonomy or hierachy has been a pet project and this new feature makes development much easier :)

Thanks again

Trevor Dwyer

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Hi Trevor, MySemanticSearch has had the desired effect on you in that it is spurring you to look deeper into semantic search in general.  We do not currently plan to update the visualizations in MySemanticSearch.  This sample is part of an overall effort to provide some nice early adoption content for SQL Server 2012 to get the ball rolling.  You can see all of the other content we are providing at http://bit.ly/sql2012cookbook

This team will not be producing any additional content on MySemantic search other than this sample and some high level demos and presentations in the content referenced above.  That is not to say that other teams won't step in and fill the gap, and we will certainly update the cook book with references to those things if and when they surface. 

Good luck with your guide we would love to see it!  Ping us at sqldevx@microsoft.com if you would like us to review and provide comments.